Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Thursday, January 24, 2008

How To Make a Mizuhiki Heart Knot


It is said that Mizuhiki connects the hearts of the giver to the receiver. With Valentine's Day approaching I thought this would make a lovely gift/keepsake. Mizuhiki knots are also great to use for cards, wrapping gifts, embellishments, or even a valentine swap. Directions Below.

Supplies
Mizuhiki Cord ( I recommend looking on line for it)
Scissors
Directions

Take 5 or 7 Mizuhiki Cords and twist them together. Then make a loop like the picture above.

With one four inch cord tie a knot at the top of your loop to secure it, then trim. Refer to picture.

Bend the left side down to the bottom of loop and hold down with your finger.

Now bend the right loop down to form the heart.

With a four inch mizuhiki cord tie the loop with the other two sides you were holding in place. Trim the cord you tied the knot with. Trim the bottom of heart as well. Done.

9 comments:

Jess said...

What a great idea! I may have to try this making one for a Valentine's Day card.

mushroommeadows said...

I just wanted to let you know that I received the package!! It's absolutely gorgeous. You're so talented! Thank you!!!

Nan said...

This is so cute, and clever.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment, I appreciate it. If you didn't see the link to the tutorial for the woven purses, you should visit it if you are interested in making your own some day.
I have only made one purse using real candy and chip wrappers, it takes too long to save them, and we don't eat a lot of candy or chips, so to get crafting right away, I decided to use old magazine pages, [I had plenty of those on hand!] and cover each paper with packing tape on the side you fold to the outside.
I'll be back to visit, I enjoy your blog

Anonymous said...

Interesting!
You need to have delicate fingers to do this. I think it will be a great gift!

Alex
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

imperfectedmind said...

wow, so nice. :)
it looks cute.

Anonymous said...

how cute, thanks so much for sharing and such great detail! also, thanks so much for stopping by my blog, i appreciate it very much and hope you come back often.

Tammy said...

LOVE this!

So going to give this a try!
Love your blog!

Tammy

Unknown said...

This was the best idea ever... I was looking for something I could make out of paper for the traditional first wedding anniversary, and this was IT!!! I googled "mizuhiki atlanta" and I found an online store whose owners live a few miles away from my house, so I just drove up there and bought the ribbon from them... I just finished the heart, and I'm going to put it in a keepsake box along with a message for my husband... I'm so excited, it is just beautiful!!!

zakkalife said...

Hi Lorena,

Thanks for sharing about the heart you made from the tutorial. I'm glad you were able to find the cord so easily. That's the hardest part about the project :)

Happy First Wedding Anniversary!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.