Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Sunday, March 2, 2008

HAPPY GIRL'S DAY

"My daughter's Girl's Day Doll"

"Hinamatsuri, the Doll Festival is a celebration for Japanese girls and is held each year on March 3rd. According to custom, when a girl is born in a Japanese family, she receives a set of dolls which represent the court of Heian Japan (794-1185). The dolls are displayed on Girl's Day and a special meal is prepared.
"Nikkei Donburi" by Chris Aihara

"Girl's Day Snacks" - Look at the cute Emperor and Empress on the packaging.

If you want to learn more about Girl's Day, here's a good site.

3 comments:

Pea said...

Such a nice tradition.. Love the doll ..she is so cute..

bunbun said...

I love learning about girls day!
There is a movie by Akira Kurosawa called Dreams thats has a special Girls Day story that I have always loved.
My husband's grandmother is from Japan and used to teach classes on how to make dolls similar to that one, I can stare at them all day!
I love the snacks and the doll so much!

mushroommeadows said...

That's awesome. I love the snacks. I think I know how they taste....melt in your mouth...YUM!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.