1 1/2 cup Mochiko (picture on left)
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
Katakuriko (potato starch)
Pam vegetable oil spray
1. Mix mochiko, sugar, and water in a bowl until smooth.
2. *Optional add a drop of food coloring for color. For flavor you can add vanilla extract or any other flavoring you wish like lemon extract, etc.
3. Spray a pan that can go in the microwave with Pam vegetable oil spray. Pour mixture in pan.
4. Cover and microwave for about 7 minutes on high. You might have to cook the mochi longer depending on the microwave. The mochi should be firm all the way to the center.
* this will be the hardest part to determine if you've never had mochi before. keep in mind it will still be very pliable and sticky
5. Cut mochi into desired pieces, either square or circle shape
picture of mochi out of the microwaveTo make the mochi above I used roasted sesame seeds, kinako(soy bean flour), and black sesame seeds.
*Check out the contest below, ends August 1, 2008.