I made popcorn balls for a birthday tea party. Since popcorn balls always leave your hands sticky, I decided to make some on sticks. It ended up working out quite well and made for a nice presentation. Then I just placed them is small cellophane bags and tied on ribbon.
The nice thing about the popcorn ball recipe is that you can make the balls any flavor. I think these would look great orange with some added black licorice for jack-o-lanterns. Maybe I'll make some for Halloween if I get the chance.
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup sugar
20 cups of plain popped popcorn
3 oz box of strawberry-banana jello (or any other flavor)
medium size lollipop sticks
*yields about 24 popcorn balls
1. On the stove top, bring corn syrup and sugar to a boil.
2. Remove from stove and add jello mix, mix well. If you would like the flavor to me more subtle, use only 2oz of jello.
3. Add mixture to popcorn and mix till well coated.
4. Form into balls. Use about one cup of the popcorn mixture per ball. You'll want to work quickly. The mixture hardens up roughly the same way rice crispy treats do.
5. With one hand hold onto the popcorn ball when you place the lolipop stick down the center of it. You might need to form the ball again, if it begins to break. Let set up for about an hour.