This little Christmas ornament was inspired by a tiny sticker, of all things. This is a simple craft project with basic stitching. Pattern plus directions below.
Felt - blue, orange, and off white
Embroidery thread - dark brown, blue, and orange
Thread - off white
Right click, copy, paste, and print pattern.
1. You might need to shrink the image. Cut out two bird cages on the dotted lines in the off white felt and one bird (on the solid line) in the blue felt. Cut out a small orange triangle for the bird's beak.
2. Using a back stitch, embroider the wing on the bird with two threads from a strand of dark brown embroidery thread. Make a french knot for the eye.
3. Using a running stitch, sew the bird onto the bird cage. Using a running stitch, sew the beak on as well. Using a back stitch, embroider the legs of the bird on the off white felt (refer to picture).
4. Using a back stitch, embroider the bird cage design around the bird (refer to picture). When embroidering the top of the bird cage attach the ribbon loop on the back of the felt piece.
5. Using the thread, sew both bird cage pieces together around the edges with a blanket stitch. Leave a one inch opening. Stuff will poly fill. Sew up the opening. Done.