Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Craft Project: Princess Wand

I can remember my first princess wand from childhood. It was all wood. The handle was painted blue and the star top was covered in silver glitter. It even had my name painted on the handle. It was a simple toy that lead to hours of imagination and fun. After thinking back to those fond memories, I decided to make a wand for my daughter.

Directions below to make your very own princess wand.

Supplies:
Cream and Pink felt - wool felt works best
Poly Fil
Ribbon
One button
Wooden dowel - make sure its not too flimsy. You'll want something will hold up well and can't be broken easily.
Embroidery thread - cream and pink
Hot Glue

Right click, copy, and paste the template into a document like Word.

Cut out two large stars in the cream felt and one small star in the pink felt.


Click on the image for a larger view.

* Optional - you can glue a wooden bead to the bottom of the wand to make it more child safe.

* If you don't like the wood showing, you can wind/glue ribbon around the handle of the wand.


18 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

Super cute! Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! This is something I can't wait to make, even though I have boys! I plan to make one for myself! Have a great night!
-Ruth Ann

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Awww...best mom ever! You must be so much fun. I love this, I'll be linking.

katy said...

Thanks for the great tutorial - my daughters will love this!

Katie said...

This is so cute, and my little Valentine princess will love getting one next month. Thanks for the directions and templates!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

This is adorable and I think my princess (and my prince!) need this.

~ Sarah

onegoldensun said...

I can't tell you how perfect your timing is for posting this project! It was just the thing that I had in mind for my daughter's 6th Birthday party next weekend, and as I was about to start hunting down detailed instructions, I check my inbox and there it is, just what I need! I love when that happens! Thanks so much.

Bel said...

Awesome! Think I could make some of these for children in church. Thanks for sharing, as always :))

Denise Felton said...

LOVE this tute! I just posted a link to your post on my blog. I hope it brings you a few extra visitors.

Denise
http://needlework.craftgossip.com

Anonymous said...

These are really cute - I make wands like this for my daughter and nieces, but I decorate them with beads, too. They love them, and they are so easy to wip up as last-minute birthday gifts!

Anonymous said...

that's one sweet item! i have no kids yet, but am seriously considering making one for myself!
thanks for the tutorial!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I just made my first wand and will be making more. This is such a cute project!

~ Sarah

http://frillsfluffandtrucks.blogspot.com/2009/02/valentine-wand.html

Unknown said...

can she please prance down the aisle for the recessional with that? evan can wear his darth vader helmet (which i have yet to buy) and morgan can wear her butterfly wings with this nice wand you created. =o)

American Homemaker said...

Very adorable :)

Ginger said...

Every one needs a wand. Thought these were so cute ,Thank you so very much for the tutorial.
hugs ginger

Loralynn said...

How cute! This one is getting filed so that this summer, when DD says "I'm bored" I can pull it out and she will have an easy and fun project to work on! Thanks so much!

Mariane said...

So cut, I loved it! I am sure that my little girl will like it too, I will try!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It's adorable ... thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Kim @ Life of a Modern Mom said...

Thank you so much for the great tutorial. This project turns out awesome. My daughter is going to love it. I put a picture of the one I made, and a link to your tutorial on my blog today. Thanks again!
http://lifeofamodernmom.blogspot.com/2009/09/tip-tuesday_29.html

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.