Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Knit Cap for a Ponytail

As promised, I said I would write a post inspired by this tweet.

Why are there no fitted caps with a hole in the back for longer hair? What am I supposed to do with it? Debra Roby

Well I'm not sure if Debra was referring to a knitted hat but that's what I thought of when I read this. I've seen holes for ponytails on baseball caps, bike helmets and even batting helmets. So it only made perfect since to have a ponytail hole for a knitted hat, right? Are you with me? So I gave it a try and it works and looks good! My only regret is that I cut my hair and can't rock one these hats myself (poor me).

So here's the how to. You can make this with any knit/crochet hat pattern that has a seam to sew up in the back. Sew your seam about half way down, leave open a 2 inch hole, sew the rest of the seam to the base of the hat. That's it.





Thanks for the idea Debra!

17 comments:

Oiyi said...

So very cute, especially on your little one.

Have you seen the pattern called Hannah? It used to be a pattern on Magknits, but they are longer in business, so it's a free Ravelry download. It's a very popular pattern for people who have ponytails. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hannah-4

Amber M. said...

That is too clever!!

alittlebitofscrap said...

So sweet!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

WOW! COOL! A pure strike of genius! AND so adorable! Wish I knew how to crochet/knit!

mushroommeadows said...

hehehe what a cutie!

Chrissy said...

Hehe..I actually saw that tweet...glad you came up with a solution! It's very cute and I'll be sure to link over to it from my place.

Liz said...

She just gets cuter every time I see her. Great idea with the hat. Now I need a snowmobile helmet with room for a ponytail.

Ashlee said...

That is just beyond cute.

ittybittyandpretty said...

it helps to sell a great product when you have such a CUTIE PATOOTIE model!!! what a great idea, i dream of bieng so clever to make something like that. well done
%^_^%

Amanda @ www.kiddio.org said...

This is hilarious, and so practical! I love the design of the hat--the hole really makes it, though :)

best,
Amanda @ www.kiddio.org / www.housemade.org

Unknown said...

What an INSPIRED idea! And a cute model. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh! So cute!

When I was little, I used to use the tea-cosy and put my bunches through its holes. So it truly is an eternal problem...

Ginger said...

So sweet ,love the idea for a little girl with a poneytail.Now no more ear hurting can wear a cute hat!

Lucky said...

so cute! i had to link you from my blog :)

Anne Marie said...

super cute!!!

Unknown said...

i like the boots. =oP ooh...and the knit cap is really nice, too!

Unknown said...

aww she is adorable :D

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.