Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Friday, April 3, 2009

Craft Project: Hedgehog Pom Pom

About a week back a reader (Nina) asked me if I had any craft projects on hedgehogs. The answer was no so I decided to come up with something. Well after a little thought, I decided to make a pom pom hedgehog. It came out just as planned (and trust me, that's rare).

Simple directions below to make a hedgehog pom pom.

Supplies:
Brown and Cream yarn
Cream Felt
Brown embroidery floss
Fabric glue
sewing needle
scissors

Wind brown and cream yarn around two fingers at the same time. Cut yarn.

Now wind just the cream yarn around your fingers slightly overlapping the other yarn.

Slide yarn off your fingers. Secure yarn by tying a strand around the center of the ball. If you've never made a pom pom before, there's detailed directions here. Cut the loops as usual. Trim into an oval shape.



Left picture - what the top of the pom pom should look like.
Right picture - what the bottom of the pom pom should look like.

With a small piece of felt, cut and shape into a cone. Sew together. Embroider the nose and eyes on the cone. Glue the cone with fabric glue to the the pom pom. Refer to pictures. Done.

34 comments:

Lisa said...

My girls LOVE this. Thank you.

Alexis said...

So cute! I must admit that I'm a bit obsessed with hedgehogs right now. I can't wait to try this. Thanks!

sesiber said...

It's very very cute.

Pussnae said...

So adorable! Thanks for the tutorial.

Violet LeBeaux said...

What a cute little guy! I'm going to have to try this later!

bridgetroll said...

this is so sweet!

babalisme said...

Yet another cute looking fellow! Going to try this one! Thank you!

Kristin - The Goat said...

How cute!

mushroommeadows said...

One of the cutest hedgies ever!

wayfarer said...

OMG, this is just too cute. I have zero time for crafting these days but i am going to fit this in today somewhere. LOVE this. And so easy.

Doan said...

So cute, a very good idea to use some left-over yarns and it seems so simple to make it.

Angel said...

Cute! Pretty simple for such an adorable end result.

Amber M. said...

How could that cute little face not put a smile on MY face??

Heleen said...

How cute!! I have to keep this idea in mind for my class. thanks for sharing.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is *almost* more cuteness than I can stand. You are so amazingly creative. I'll be linking.

Malu Lara said...

Hola, es la primera vez que visito tu blog porque estoy interesada en el estilo zakka, es maravillosos todo lo que haces, te visitaré muy seguido, Besos!!

alittlebitofscrap said...

CUTE!

Ayie said...

so simple to do but so cute!

LollyChops said...

What a cutie pie!

Anonymous said...

SO adorable! I would have never thought of using pompoms for this. Really amazing!!

Maiz said...

Kawaii-sou! This is ridiculously cute! I must try it!

Patty said...

This is so cute! I just learned how to make pom-poms this way so now I must make a hedgehog. Thanks for telling us how to make them!

alexander said...

That is a very cute hedgehog.
I love it. :D

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Julia Aston said...

This is just adorable! what a perfect little critter!! thanks so much for sharing the deets!!

Anne said...

That is so adorable!!! Can't wait to make one (or a family of them) for my granddaughter!

Ashlee said...

This is too cute! I will be making one this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Precious! Thanks for your wonderful ideas.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

This is really cute! When my kids were little, we made lots of pom pom animals and little monsters. I was really good at it as when I was young, I made pom poms for my roller skates. LOL!

Banana King said...

Totally cute! I am going to make one for my 13 yr. old son for his Easter basket. He loves hedgies! He might be a little too old for this, but I think he'll enjoy it!

Nancy Fleur du Luxe said...

Joli et amusant!
Cute and funny!

MamaWestWind said...

Love this! We made some, here's a pic. http://chocoeyes.blogspot.com/2011/03/hedgehogs-hedgehogs.html

Thanks so much for the idea!

moonlight said...

2 CUTE!!!

ys said...

this is the cutest hedgehog pom pom I've EVER SEEN!!!!! xD ♥♥♥♥

Anonymous said...

Sooo cute! Great tutorial!!!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.