Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Craft Project: Plastic Bottle Jump Rope

You can never go wrong with the classic jump rope. It's a simple toy that can entertain children for long periods of time. Even better, you can make one out of items you probably have lying around the house. It's a quick and easy craft project. So pull those plastic bottles out of the recycling bin and make a jump rope with me.


Supplies
Two Plastic bottles: any bottle with a circumference small enough for little hands
Rope - anything you have around the house. you could also make rope by braiding plastic bags
Scissors
Exacto knife
Glue (optional)
Two plastic flowers (optional) - I used some flowers I salvaged from a wrapped gift

Here's the bottle I started off with. Optional - you can have your child decorate the bottles with stickers.

Cut out a hole with the exacto knife in the center of the bottle. It should be slightly larger than the circumference of the rope.

Take apart a fake flower. Thread the flower onto the rope one petal at time.

Thread the plastic bottle onto the rope next. Tie a knot at the end (refer to picture).

Pull the rope tight so the knot is at the end where you cut the hole out of the bottle. Glue the flower to the bottle. Repeat on the opposite side of the rope. Done!

Here's a childhood blast from the past, Miss Susie jump rope rhyme. Anyone else remember this?

Miss Susie had a steamboat
the steamboat had a bell
Miss Susie went to Heaven
the steamboat went to
hello operator
please give me number nine
and if you disconnect me,
I'll paddle your
Behind the refrigerator
there was a piece of glass
Miss Susie sat upon it and broke her little
ask me no more questions
tell me no more lies
the boys are in the girls' room
zipping up their
flies are in the kitchen
the bees are in the park
Miss Susie and her boyfriend
are kissing in the
D-A-R-K
D-A-R-K
D-A-R-K
[fast] DARK, DARK, DARK
dark is like a movie
a movie's like a show
a show is like a TV screen
and that is all I know
I know I know my mother
I know I know my pa
I know I know my sister
with the alligator bra!

36 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow--did that rhyme bring back memories for me! Cute idea, love your site!

Ayie said...

I like your jumping rope better than what i can buy outside. It suits your pretty girl so well with the cute flowers and nice handles.

The Queen of Clearance said...

I loved miss susie when I was little! That jump rope doesn't even look like it is made of stuff just laying around the house! Great job!

Violet LeBeaux said...

Haa I'm back in my childhood now with that rhyme! I almost wish I had kids so I could make that jump rope. Or maybe I'll just make one for me! Such a creative idea

Bel said...

Hats off! :)

Kristin said...

Fantastic!

W said...

Wow! thats so cute. An amazing way of recycling and much better than store bought too.

cindy said...

This jump rope is so cute!

Violet said...

Oh my gosh I've been trying to remember the last part of that rhyme for forever. Thank you! I used to love that one with it's "dirty" words!

Crystal said...

I've never heard that rhyme. I remember Ms. Mary Mack, Mack, Mack. That's about it, and I don't even think that was used for jumping rope.

zakkalife said...

I remember Ms. Mary Mack! Another great rhyme from childhood.

Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack
All dressed in black, black, black
With silver buttons, buttons, buttons
All down her back, back, back.

She asked her mother, mother, mother
For 50 cents, cents, cents
To see the elephants, elephants, elephants
Jump over the fence, fence, fence.

They jumped so high, high, high
They reached the sky, sky, sky
And they didn't come back, back, back
'Til the 4th of July, ly, ly!

Ginger said...

Loved this idea have to make a few .Thank you so much awesome tutorial.
Big hug

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

This is such a great craft! When my babe is a little older, I'll be making her one. :) Thanks!

Novi On The Go said...

Oh Jessica! You have fantastic ideas for recycling. Thanks for sharing!

Hippie Family... said...

and I was planning to buy the book of jump rope rhymes from amazon, I'll have to come back here. I love the jump rope idea. that's so cute with the flower too!

Angie said...

I love this idea!

As far as the rhyme, it takes me way back, another one was something about "Open up the barn doors, kick out the hay, we're the girls from the U.S.A.". Oh I miss being a child!

mamafrog said...

Wouldn't the hole you punch in the bottle cut the rope eventually? Have you noticed this and come up with something to stop it?

Alison said...

Too funny...I do remember that rhyme. I think it's cute that as little girls we repeated things that were kind of perverted, giggled at them, and didn't fully understand what they meant. :)

zakkalife said...

mamafrog,

I haven't noticed a problem yet, but you have a good point. I would line the hole with a few layers of masking tape to make it smooth. That should prevent the rope from tearing.

Yarni Gras! said...

I used to LOVE to jumprope! Love the old memory...thanks! Great idea for the jumprope!

Alexander said...

Fantastic idea.
Your daughter is very cute. Just nice for this pretty jump rope.

Have a nice weekend.

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Riinukas said...

cool idea

Geneviève said...

Really great idea! I'll try to do this for my children!
Thank you for your good and interestig posts!
Greets from Switzerland
Geneviève

Ronda C. said...

Wow, I didn't know there was a part after the boys zip up their flies. That is were we always ended it.
Good to know.

APO (Bem-Trapilho) said...

excelent!!!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

I used to sing that song all the time! and that jump rope idea is the best!

macati said...

WOW this is so cool!!!!!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

LOVE love love this! We've even got yogurt drinks on hand!!

You are so clever!

Manualidades said...

Me encantó la idea!

Lenetta said...

I wanted to let you know that I linked to this post on my weekly roundup. Thanks!

Birdie said...

Very cute idea! on a side note, you can use a little GooGone to take off the black ink stamp on store bought containers too!

PuppyLovePrincess said...

awesome idea! so sweet and planet-friendly, too. i'll be linking your post on my blog this week for sure (w/credits, of couse!) these jump ropes are perfect for my girly little flower fairies! http://puppylovepreschool.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

hi i am doing a controlled assesment for my GCSE ICT and i wanted to use this idea for my cousework which is about upcycling please may i use this idea

hitokirihoshi Jr said...

this is nice for my nieces, thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Hello I am a GCSE student doing Up cycling in ICT. Can I please use your webisite for my work?
thank you

Anonymous said...

Another rhyme....does anyone remember :
Cinderella dressed in yeller,
Went upstairs to kiss a fella,
On the way her panties busted,
How many people were disgusted,
(fast) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc till the person got out.

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.