Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How To Make a Barrette Holder


Looking back to my own child hood, I can recall my fascination with Chinese lanterns. As a child I was attracted to the vibrant colors, intricate detail, sparkle and mystery of them. So to capture a little piece of that nostalgia, I've created a lantern barrette holder. Directions below.

Supplies:
Printed pattern
Scissors
Embroidery thread in black and pink
Pink and Black Felt
Sewing needle
Black Lace
Pollyfill
Right click, copy, save to file and print. This image was designed to be printed in landscape.

Cut out all pattern pieces. Cut out two lanterns. Cut out one bird on branch (cut leaves separately). Cut two rectangles if substituting felt for lace.

Sew bird/branch on the front of the lantern using a running stitch. Sew on leaves next.

Sew lace (or felt) on the bottom and top of lantern with a running stitch. I personally like the lace which mimics the intricate detail you would see on an ornate lantern. Next using three strands of black embroidery thread, backstitch on the lantern detail.

On the other lantern peice sew on three 24 inch strands of ribbon folded in half onto the bottom of the lantern. On the top of the lantern sew on lace in a loop for hanging.

Place lantern pieces wrong sides together and sew together with a blanket stitch. Leave a two inch opening to stuff. Then finish stitching all the way around. Done.

Place barrettes on ribbon.

* A miniature version of this would make a cute Christmas ornament. If making an ornament, I would substitute the ribbon for a small tassel.

17 comments:

pi said...

I'll admit that at first glance, I thought it was a hot air balloon. ^_^'' Typically, Chinese lanterns (at least those strung in my chinatown and the ones my family owns) are slightly more rotund.
Still, it's very recognizable as a lantern once you take a close look at it! ^________^
Very cute! If I owned any barrettes, I'd make one!

zakkalife said...

Pi,

You can always make a smaller version as a Christmas ornament. I plan on making a few myself.

Jace said...

This is so pretty and clever. :) I really enjoy looking at all the great ideas you come up with.

Unknown said...

very very sweet!!!!!

*~kAy~* said...

This looks very professional! <3
So pretty!
Thanks so much for sharing the patterns with us!

I like the way you photographed it :)

Susie - secondhandsusie.blogspot.com said...

Thats lovely :)

Anne said...

This is so pretty!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-chinese-lantern-barrette-holder/2009/10/22/

--Anne

Pink Princess said...

SWEET!! Going to make a few myself, eventhough I don't wear barettes anymore ;)

Ayie said...

i was just in the craft store ysterday and thinking of a craft project out of felt, now this gives me a better idea on how i can stitch it and decorate better =)

Tia said...

I think this is super cute! I would stitch it on a tshirt and wear it! Maybe minus the ribbons and the barrettes, hehe, but I think it would be cute on a Tshirt. Yup yup!

Novi On The Go said...

This is wonderful! Another version would be to make a bunch of smaller ones minus the bird and tie them to a string so it looks like a row of lanterns, could be brightly colored too... just an idea.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

What a sweet idea! Little girls certainly do have lots of barrettes that need holding too. ;)

Doan said...

It's so cute and original, a very good idea as usual!

Funky Finds said...

very nice!

Unknown said...

That is so delightfully cute!!

Memi The Rainbow said...

What a pretty idea! Your blog is always full of cute and amazing things..Thank you for sharing! ^.^

Sara D said...

could you also make one in the shape of a kite? do you have a pattern for that?

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.