Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Monday, November 16, 2009

Craft Project: Miniature Stuffed Animals

I recently got some fabric designed by Kokka. It was so pretty that I didn't want to cut into it. Do you ever find yourself with this problem? Well, I was trying to think up the perfect project because the last thing I wanted to do was waste the fabric. As I analyzed the print, it reminded me of all those fabulous handmade stuffies. That thought translated into miniature stuffed animals for my daughter's doll house. So I made a mini stuffed animal, then another, then another and I couldn't stop! They're just so addicting. I'm already thinking of making mini ornaments, child brooches, and ponytail holders out of them as well.

Supplies:
Scissors
Thread
Tweezers
Sewing Needle
Polyfill
Fabric - I used Wonder Forest designed by Kokka

Cut out two animals with about a 1/4 inch seam around the animal. You'll want to leave a little more fabric at the bottom of the animal (refer to picture).

Place right sides together. Hand sew a running stitch around the animal (refer to picture). Make sure to leave plenty of room to turn right side out.

Turn right side out using tweezers. Stuff with polyfill. Tuck the bottom of doll inside so you can't see the raw edge. Sew closed. Done.





25 comments:

Big Mook Craft said...

ohhhh so cute! i luv this!

*~kAy~* said...

oh so adorable!!! I didn't realize how small it was until you put it next to the penny!

Christine at Origami Mommy said...

Oh - these are just too sweet and adorable! Great idea!

Arlyna's Blog said...

I totally love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. been following your blog, but first time to comment.

Ayie said...

at least you didn't have to cut the patterns, you were able to make use of them nicely! your daughter must be so happy for her new toys =P

Jennifer said...

Adorable! And such a clever use of the fabric. Just the kind of project I would have loved as a kid for my miniature collection.

Anonymous said...

i have a daughter and a lot of kokka fabric- so i think i will be trying this pretty soon!

Anonymous said...

My girls would just eat these up - how adorable!

babalisme said...

sigh!! I want a jar full of them!

Sandra said...

oh my, they are the cutest!! thank you so much for sharing them. Sandra x

Punkn said...

omg it's soo cute! I'm going to be scouring my fabric store for something I can do this with though I could probably draw something on a plain fabric. :D Thanks for the cute idea!!

Sondra said...

These are so cute!!!!

Stephanie said...

Too cute! What a great idea!

Marissa said...

Tiny things are just so stinkin' precious! What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing. :o)

adnohr said...

I have to ask, what kind of dollhouse does your daughter have? I love the mod looking furniture. I have a 1 yr old, so I am sure there is a dollhouse in our future.

tali said...

for a second i thought those where much bigger size. i really love the scale and the fabric.

tali

zakkalife said...

Nod,

We have the "My First Doll House" by Plan Toys. It's more traditional looking but they also make a very cute contemporary looking doll house. The bed and lamp is by Plan Toys. The little wood chairs I picked up at Daiso for a $1.50 each.

Hope this helps.

Jessica

Maggie said...

These are so adorable. I can see these sewed to the end of a ribbon making a really cute bookmark. I need to find some fabric so I can try this. I really enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful and easy ideas.

Deanna said...

VERY cute! Will try this with some bear printed fabric for my girls who can't resist anything teeny tiny!

Anonymous said...

That is just adorable! I have some Russian doll fabric I have been saving and this is the perfect project for it!

Alexander said...

The miniatures are adorable and lovely. I like them.

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Sandra said...

Thanks for making such super cute things with my fabrics! Love the idea! I will write on my blog about this project for sure.

For all your readers: you can buy this fabric here:
http://www.modes4u.com/en/info/p2307_Matryoshka-Animals-Kokka-Fabric-from-Japan-kawaii-half-yard.html

There are also other colors: blue, brown and white

mamaayanna said...

that is a GREAT idea!

Sew Flippin Cool said...

What a great stocking stuffer idea! This is great! I've featured this tutorial in a christmas gifts tutorial roundup on my blog, The Handmade Experiment. Check it out at http://wp.me/pkcUM-oZ

Thanks and happy holidays!
Emily

Lauri said...

These are so freaking cute!!! I have a problem cutting into really cute fabrics (Kokka is one of my favorites!) and this is a great way to keep some of it!

Hmmm...I'm thinking I will be making some of these as ornaments for our Christmas tree...

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.