Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Monday, May 17, 2010

How To Make a Hello Kitty Flower Bouquet

You may recall a couple years ago there were photos floating around the internet of Hello Kitty bouquets. About a week ago I stumbled upon one and was curious if the bouquets were available for sale anywhere. To my dismay I couldn't find anyone selling the flowers so I decided to make one of my own. It was surprisingly easy to make so I'm sharing the process with all of you.

Disclosure: I'm not a florist. There might be better methods to making this. This is a tutorial on how I created the bouquet.

Supplies:
4 White Carnations
2 Plastic Black Shank Buttons - if you can find an oval shape even better
1 Plastic Yellow Shank Button
1 Sheet of White Craft Foam
Black Card Stock
Fabric Glue
Straight Pins
Tape
Green Floral Tape
Floral Wire
Red Ribbon

Tightly bind 4 carnations together with some floral tape. You want it too look like one giant carnation so try to avoid any gaps.

Wrap wire around the back of all three buttons (refer to picture). The wire tail should be about 2 1/2".

Place button wires into the flowers to create the face (make sure they're secure). You might need to trim the wire a little so your buttons sit flat on top of the flowers. I also recommend looking at a Hello Kitty image to get the nose and eye spacing correct.

Tie a traditional red bow and trim off tales. Attach a floral wire to bow. Cut two rounded triangles from the white foam for ears. You'll want the ears to be slightly bigger opposed to proportionate. Glue one of the ears on the back of the bow. Tape the other ear to the floral wire. The wire should be 6" in length.

Situate ears at the top of the bouquet. You will need to bend the ears back about 90 degrees. The flowers should cover part of the foam ears (this is why we made them larger). With floral tape, wrap wire and stems to secure in place.

Last are the whiskers. Cut 6 thin strips of black card stock measuring 2" in length. Pin three strips to each side of the face inside the flowers using straight pins. You now have a Hello Kitty Bouquet. For more color surround it with other flowers or wrap it in cellophane and tissue paper.

This project is cross-posted over at Must Have Cute (other site I write for).

29 comments:

emptytesting said...

love it

onecraftalicousmomma said...

Thats so cute!! You could use those as a decoration for a hello kitty birthday party!!! Um wonder how hard it would be to make a Oliva The Pig flower bouquet

il faro nel porto said...

Adoro le tue idee Ciao

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I cannot wait for the next occasion where I can make one of these! I'm ridiculously excited about this. Thank you SO much for sharing it! I'll be linking as well.

~Alesha~ said...

I am in love with this!!! Thank you SO much for sharing. My daughter and I absolutely LOVE Hello Kitty. =(^-^)=

Maeve Rachel said...

So cute and creative! Great idea! =) Your very talented! I love reading your posts, you have fantastic ideas!! =)

Melon said...

Adorable!!

Lilly Higgins said...

Oh my goodness! This is SO cute! I love the red bow and you made it look so easy. I'd love this kitty to meet the carnation poodle I made a few months ago! There'd be petals everywhere! x

Odalis said...

Hola, es la primera vez que te visito, me gustó mucho tu blog.

Saludos desde Dominicana.

Que el Señor te sonría :-)

Anonymous said...

wow adorable i love it...so cute so simple

Stephanie said...

So.Adorable! I literally went 'awww!' out loud when I saw this!

Carrie Me! said...

Soooo adorable! Love Hello Kitty =) You did a beautiful job.

Ayie said...

you have such huge imagination...and great creativity!

jo_annie said...

I absolutely love this and will be linking!!

Yarni Gras! said...

another wonderful idea! Too late for our teachers this year but next year I think I'll make them.....

Melissa said...

Those are so cute! I want to run out and buy a bunch of flowers and make them all like that inside of a pretty vase :)

Anonymous said...

thank q for sharing...i am looking around too..once again..thank q so much.

Jenny said...

This is something unusual idea of making Hello Kitty bouquets.Can U suggest more such ideas?Can we use artificial flowers for making these bouquets?

Paty said...

Super cute!

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

holy cow that is freaking cool.
I am making one of these for my niece for her birthday!

ILikePaperCutting said...

fun project

genie said...

My 5 year old granddaughter LOVES Hello Kitty things. I’m getting ready to make her a pillowcase dress to wear to her “big cousin’s graduation from prep school next Sunday, and I think to carry one of these little bouquets were be just too cute. Thanks for once again sharing with all of us....hugs, Genie

Todokawaii said...

Hello Jessica,

I translated into spanish your great tutorial in my website, I hope you do not mind n_n

http://todokawaii.com/flor-hello-kitty/

Greets!

leeanne said...

This was such a sweet idea. I gave it a go and have posted some pics on my blog -but just realised we forgot the whiskers!

NEFİSE said...

ha ha ha ...ıts beatifull..

Rei said...

Omg. Can make one and sell me? I'm like hopeless when it comes to making a bouquet...

mikes wife :) crystal parra#1 said...

I am so thankful to have found this sweet , cute kraft...! i am making one for my grandma alice who passed two months ago...its her birthday 7/31/2001 she will be 80yrs old...miss her and i know she would love this just as much as me :)......thank you soooooo much

crystal parra#1

The Phat Kat said...

This is so adorable. I am going to try and make one. I have friend who REALLY LOVES Hello Kitty. I think she will get a big kick out of this. So will my two young nieces. Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

Love this so much I'm so going to attempt this today cant wait

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.