Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Handmade Halloween Costumes

Meet the knitting fairy, with a wave of her wand she can pick up dropped stitches and rejuvenate wonky sweaters. Just for fun I was brainstorming ideas for Halloween costumes and this was one of them. I like the idea of a costume revolved around handmade. Truthfully though, I probably won't make this. Unless I have some party to go to, I'll probably stick with my tried and true Little Red Riding Hood costume. But if I was going to go all out, this is what I'd do:


Now this is a costume that will win you first place at a Halloween party. M.A.C. artist Karin Stone created this real life Roy Lichtenstein comic character.

Via Charmed




This is another costume I love, "low resolution". But if I were to make this, I'd make the squares smaller. I'd also draw squares on a light colored dress to keep the pixelation theme going. I actually suggested this costume to my husband this year and he thought I was completely out of my mind. Honestly, if he thought this was weird, he should have seen me with the ball of yarn wrapped around my head yesterday. Purely for costume R & D (research and development) of course.

Via Make



What crafty person can't resist the tomato pincushion costume? Pure awesomeness, right?

via My Paper Crane




And here's something for the kids, a paper doll costume. What's great about this costume is how easy and inexpensive it is to make. This would also make a great family themed costume. Everyone could be paper dolls.

Via Dollar Store Crafts





So, what fabulous costumes are you guys making this year?

8 comments:

Deanna said...

My kids are pretty boring. The 2 middle kids want to be Batman and Batgirl, so they were purchased. Littlest one wants to be Robin, so I am making a girl Robin costume. :)

Valerie said...

Baby Girl is a strawberry (thrift store purchase and completely adorable). Boy (3) wants to be a skull, a skeleton, a big tree, a fire engine, a sippy cup, water, a school bus and a table. So....yeah. Not sure what to do about that one!

zakkalife said...

Deanna,

My kid's requests are pretty standard as well. My daughter has requested to be Silvermist and my son says he want's to be Ben 10 again. But if I had it my way we would all be dressed up in a theme such as the paper dolls. But since this is time for them to have fun, I let them choose their costumes.

Valerie,

Maybe your son could be a collage ;)

Seindria said...

If I can get it shipped to me, I want to answer the door, or sit on the porch for the kids wearing my costume "Fidget."

Pic: http://avenstudios.net/gallery/costumes/S4021191

Or if I can find some nice supplies, I might make another critter. :D

GUGAW said...

paper doll family is an awesome idea!!

Ayie said...

great ideas and very economical doing your own costume but I guess this year we'll be buying our son's very first costume

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

I loved that pixelated costume last year! So cool! Thanks for linking to my paper doll costume - I guess I missed it back when you posted this!

Cassie said...

I handmake my costume every year with my mom! And aslos, when I couldn't find a mummy costume in any magazine, I made it. And the very next year, there were 3 mummy coustumes in 1 magazine! It was like I set a trend!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.