Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Simmered Kabocha Recipe

Today is officially the first day of fall. So to kick off the season, I would like to share one of my favorite recipes with you, simmered Kabocha (pumpkin). I found the recipe in one of my favorite cook books, "The Joy of Japanese Cooking" by Kuwako Takahashi. Ever since I discovered the recipe, it has become a staple in our kitchen menu. Perhaps it will be one of yours too.

Simmered Kabocha
Recipe from The Joy of Japanese Cooking


Ingredients:
1 1/2lbs Kabocha (pumpkin) - pictured above
1 1/2 cup dashi - you can make it from scratch with bonito flakes but I like to use 1/2 cup Yamaki Mentsuyu (pictured above) with 1 cup water. If you really wanted to, you could replace the dashi with chicken broth.
3 T Mirin (rice wine)
1-2 T Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 T Soy Sauce

Cut kabocha into small pieces (about 1" x 1 1/2"). Round edges of skin with a peeler. You can eat the skin of a kabocha so you don't have to peel all of it off. Rounding the edges is more for aesthetics.

Place kabocha skin side down in a large pot. Mix rest of ingredients together and pour into pot.

Cover with lid and bring to boil.

Turn heat down and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Cook until tender. Make sure kabocha does not get mushy.

Turn off heat and let the kabocha soak up the dashi. You can serve this dish hot or at room temperature. Often I like to make it for bentos as a side dish.

Enjoy!


11 comments:

Joyce said...

sounds yummy! will it work with american pumpkin?

zakkalife said...

Joyce,

Yes you can use an American pupkin (orange) but you might want to remove the skin. Also, the cooking time might vary depending on the thickness.

The kabocha is sold in US grocery stores. You might be able to find one.

Kendra said...

This sounds so delicious! I can't wait to make it.

guurrrl said...

mmmm this looks delicious!

Carmen said...

mmmm I got hungry, I need to try that! I love kabocha :)

Lisa U said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle L. said...

Oh, that looks so good! Thanks and yum!

Cristina said...

oh autumn is my favorite season because of all the nice warm food.
thanks for reminding me of the cute kabocha and it's wonderful yumminess!

togu said...

I just boiled a pumpkin, too.
The pumpkin from Hokkaido is delicious at this time.

Lisa U said...

Made it couple of days ago. SOOO easy and so delish! It was great cold especially because of the hot past few days.

Ayie said...

it's a healthy treat...

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.