The last of our persimmons were over ripe so I knew I had to do something with them quick. Then I remembered I had a great recipe from a friend that I've been wanting to try. And as luck would have it, I had all the ingredients it required, even the dates! Love when that happens. So I whipped up a batch and they're just as good as when my friend makes them. Well, maybe hers are a little better. But, doesn't everything taste better when you don't have to make it yourself? Recipe below.
Lemon Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 - 2 T lemon juice. Add a little juice at a time to get desired consistency. Add a little lemon extract also for taste.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup persimmon pulp
1tsp baking soda
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 cup chopped dates or raisins (or 1/2 cup of each)
4 T or rum or brandy
1 cup chopped nuts ( I used pecans)
1. Soak raisins and dates in rum and set aside.
2. Cream butter, beat in sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each egg. Add persimmon pulp and lemon rind.
3. Mix flour, baking soda and spices in a separate bowl. Add to wet ingredients and mix.
4. Mix in raisins, dates and nuts. Include any brandy the raisins didn't soak up.
4. Spread onto a greased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. May take less then 20 minutes depending on oven.
5. Let Cool. Drizzle with Glaze. Cut into squares and enjoy!