Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kid Craft: Quarter Rubbings


All school year my son's class has been learning how to count money. Besides learning the value of the coins, they also need to be familiar with all quarters for STAR test purposes. So, I came up with this idea of quarter rubbings. Many of the kids don't have quarter book collections or even access to money. This project allows kids to see the coins, interact with them, and keep a record of all the different quarters available.

Below you'll find five templates for the quarter rubbings. I also share some tips on how to get the best results.




Click on a template to enlarge image, right click, copy, save, print in landscape. You might need to adjust the scale of the image. All templates are designed to fit a 11" x 8 1/2" paper.


Place quarter under paper. If the child has trouble holding it down, try using a removable glue dot to hold in place. Using a colored pencil (works better than crayon) color over the quarter in a circular motion making sure not to press too hard. Soon the quarter's image will appear like magic!

13 comments:

Michelle L. said...

Oh, man, this is so clever! You just saved people hundreds of dollars! ;) Great tips, too.

clara said...

I remember doing this in school a long time ago but with black pencils. Love the idea of using coloured ones.

Adaiha said...

This is awesome!

My Blessings From Above said...

Thanks! This is great!

Kristin said...

My FIL just gave DD a 50 states quarter book--complete with all the quarters--which, although well-intentioned, kind of took the fun out of it. This project will at least give her a chance to do something fun with it. Thank you!

Anthonette said...

My little one has been doing a lot of math and word problems related to money. He was also doing some rubbings this week. Great idea...thanks!

Jenn Erickson said...

I love it! Absolutely love it! My girls both get a kick out of the different designs on the quarters, and this would be a perfect way to get a dialog going about the states, money and indulge their crafty sides at the same time!

Anonymous said...

What a smart way to teach your children~ Thanks for sharing this idea, and I hope I can use this with the coins in my country..^^..

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

What a great idea. We've been collecting the actual quarters and it's killing my son not to spend them. This way, it shows they've collected and then can use!! :)

Unknown said...

Such an awesome idea!

tallynt said...

This is brilliant, my kids are home sick from school today and guess what we are doing? Yay!!!

zakkalife said...

Thanks Tallynt.

Let me know how it goes.

Ann said...

Thanks! What a great idea!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.