Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Easter Basket Breakfast

During spring break I try to make it fun and do some special things for the kids. It's always simple things, nothing over the top. One thing I like to do is spend a little more time on breakfast. Since I'm not rushing them off to school, I have a little more time to prepare a morning meal. In this case, I made them this Easter basket breakfast. Even though it's very colorful it's actually relatively healthy. Do you recognize the colorful ingredient? That's right, I used boba to garnish the top to look like candy. Normally you find them in milk tea drinks.

uncooked boba
Ingredients:
Greek yogurt - individual container
One Sliced Kiwi
Rainbow boba - also know as tapioca balls or pearls. Colorful cereal or dried fruit could be used in replace of the boba.

Here's what the boba look like once they're boiled. The package should say how to prepare them. Usually you just have to boil them for about 5 - 10 minutes depending on size.

1. If you can, cut off the label on the yogurt or cover with a pretty paper. Tie bow around the top edge. Use a little double stick tape to hold in place. Peel off lid.

2. Place sliced kiwi along the edges to look like grass. Lay kiwi flat on top of the rest of the yogurt.

3. Place boba or cereal on top. Done.

18 comments:

jelly roll fabric said...

Those dishes look scrumptious. Been a big fan of the blog for a while - first time posting. Keep up the great work… I really love the stuff you’ve got on here.

Jessica said...

What a beautiful breakfast! I have never heard of boba before.

Our kids had spring break last month. Spring break was always the week leading up to Easter, so this year it's just weird to me that spring break is all over the place for different areas... and not sure why it is like that this year.

zakkalife said...

Jessica,

My Mother in Law is a teacher and her break was the same time as yours. I was told schools are doing this to get away from the idea that it's an Easter Break and emphasizing it's a Spring Break. I just hope they don't start doing this with winter break and have it a week before Christmas!

Sheila... said...

this is awesome! any reason to have more boba bubbles other than a drink is my kind of recipe.
thanks.

jejoba said...

Where can you find boba? Is it available at most grocery stores? If so what part of the store is it located in?

Michelle L. said...

Ha! Genius. I would defy any kid not to gobble this up!

justJENN said...

I love this!

Sara said...

boba balls are actually extremely unhealthy due to the dangerous chemicals in them. maybe you should substitute for blueberries or something

zakkalife said...

jejoba,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. You can find boba pearls at Asian markets. Some grocery stores have an Asian aisle and you might find them there as well. If you really want to get some, I recommend buying online.

zakkalife said...

Sara,

I've never heard of boba having dangerous chemicals in them. After reading your comment, I did a Google search but still couldn't find anything. If you have an article I could read, I would be interested.

allyn said...

the gift basket is adorable. i never thought to make an edible one. i always stuff ours with summer things like sunglasses and bathing suits. what a great idea. thanks for sharing.

Anthonette said...

What a very cute breakfast treat! I love how you used the kiwi.

BUSIR said...

I was afraid that they were sweets,never heard of boba in France.Y.S

zakkalife said...

Busir,

Boba are not sweet at all or at least the ones I get are not. They're a starch basically.

The whole point of this breakfast was to offer something that looked fun but wasn't actually sweet.

pocketwonders said...

Neat Idea!

I do love my tapioca bubbles...

-wants bubble tea now-

tamdoll said...

Looks fantastic. I have to find some of these giant tapiocas soon! Tomorrow I will be on the quest for an Asian market - the last one I used to go to has closed down.

Yoshi Blade said...

What an interesting idea for an Easter breakfast. Thanks for sharing this post with us.

Novi On The Go said...

What a delightful looking breakfast! I've never tried boba with yogurt before, it's normally served with sweetened coconut milk or with sweet potato or Asian fruit like jackfruit. This is something different, thank you for this.

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.