Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Craft: Denim Pom Poms

Give me a D!
Give me an E!
Give me a N!
Give me an I!
Give me an M!
What does that spell? Denim!

I had an old pair of worn out jeans to play with and decided to make some pom poms with them. I really like how you can see the wrong side of the denim. I think it gives the pom poms some added depth and texture. I deiced to use them to adorn a gift. They're the perfect replacement for a bow.

Supplies:
piece of denim 4" x 12"
String - I used twine
Scissors

1. Cut denim on black lines like the picture above. This will give you one continuous piece of denim string. I recommend making the width just a little less than 1/4 inch and about 3 yards in length.

2. Wrap the denim string around three of your fingers. Keeping the loops intact, slide it off your hand.

3. Tie a piece of string around the center as tight as you can. You don't want your pom pom falling apart. Cut the loops (refer to picture).

4. Fan out edges. Trim pom pom if necessary. The more you trim it, the fuller it will look.

Your pom pom should now look something like this.

I have another tutorial for how to make pom poms with photos if that's more helpful. Click here, if you want to see it.

15 comments:

Suzy Krause said...

WHOA. love this.

Nohemí said...

This is a fantastic idea!!

Mestieredimamma said...

I'll try to do it with my kids ;)
Tanks for the fantastic idea!!

grey rose (they/them) said...

goodness, these are so sweet! thank you!

nonnapuffo said...

Lovely idea
kisses from your follower! ♡
www.welovefur.com

val said...

such clever use of an old pair of jeans!

Caca said...

I love your hand drawn tutorial. So, you are on full gear for Christmas crafts now.

Sophie said...

Good Idea !

Je ne savais pas quoi faire de mes restes de vieux jeans !

Merci !

zakkalife said...

Caca,

Yes, I'm pretty much focused on Christmas crafts at this point. If I come up up with something else for Thanksgiving, maybe I'll share it.

RecycleCindy said...

Super cute and I love the idea of using recycled denim to create cool reusable items like these pom poms.

Deanna said...

Great idea!! Love how the denim looks.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

These pom poms are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing how you made them. Love your tutorial drawings, madly.

Tara K said...

Very nice ! I have never thought to use denim in this way ..and I love denim! :) Thanks!

Theresa said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

this is great. thanks

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.