Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Wagashi: Japanese Desserts

Forget the Halloween candy, this is what I've been snacking on for the past week.  My husband surprised me with a box of Japanese desserts from Minamoto Kitchoan.  Minamoto Kitchoan has become one of our favorite places to purchase wagashi.  Wagashi is a traditional Japanese dessert that is often served with green tea.  It's mainly made with plant based foods such as red beans, chestnuts and sweet potatoes. 

I thought I would share a few pictures of the desserts with you.  If you're looking for a hostess gift to impress, you might want to try one of these boxes filled with Japanese confections.  They're always beautifully wrapped, ready to gift.  These desserts usually last no longer than a month so if you're going to gift a box for the holidays, keep that in mind.  Some of the desserts are only good for about a week.

Inside this pretty package is Hakutoujelly.  It's a peach flavored jelly that has the texture of a gelatin apple sauce.

Fuku Watashi Senbei -  Vanilla cream filled cookie

Cherry Blossom Wagashi - sorry I don't have the official name for this one.  I was more concerned with eating it than documenting it. 

Here's what the cherry wagashi looks like.  Many of the wagashi desserts have a cake like outside and a flavored center.  Many of the confections have mashed up sweetened beans inside.  They're always just as pretty in the inside as they are on the outside.

What special items do you like to bring for a hostess gift?  I always like hearing new ideas.

9 comments:

~amy~ said...

Gorgeous treats and a perfect gift:)

test said...

gorgeous - a feast for the eyes and the tummy! :)

Swedish Scrapper said...

Delightful! Lucky lady!

lin said...

WOW loooks yummi <3 i really need to try it

Lisa U said...

Pretty! I love how those are packaged as well. My mom just came back from Japan with a cookbook for wagashi! Unfortunately, many of them require special ingredients, but I'll try some of them and post pics. :)

zakkalife said...

Lisa,

Can't wait to see what you make!

LimeRiot said...

These are almost just too pretty to eat!! One of my clients is from Japan and he always brings back fun and pretty desserts when he goes home. I always enjoy unwrapping the treats - they are always so delicately packaged.

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic!!!

Lauren said...

These all look so good and your photos are lovely! I want to do a little water color of one, I'm so obsessed with the colors of the peach jelly. Gorgeous.

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.