Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lets Talk Camp Crafts

Today I'm over at the Galileo blog sharing how to make this ammonite fossil that's pictured above.  But before you head on over there, I'd like to talk a little about camp crafts.

As a child I went to numerous camps and made a lot of cool things.  It was a lot of fun but I realize now, they didn't have a lot of substance.  The projects were fun to make but they didn't teach me anything.  And I'm not saying all crafts need a teaching agenda.  You know most of my crafts that I post here are just for the sake of making.  But if you're looking to teach children in a fun way, crafts can be a great tool.  Especially for those children who flourish in the arts but not traditional subjects like math and English.  That's why I like the craft projects at Camp Galileo.

Each week at camp Galileo there's a theme and the art and science projects coordinate with that theme.  Pictured above are some of the projects kids will be making for the Amusement Park theme this summer at Camp Galileo.  Here's a little information about the projects in Galileo's own words:

Art: Join Cirque du Galileo. Learn the art of mixing tints to make masks inspired by the elements. Use professional sculpting wire and tools to create performers and props for an Alexander-Calder-inspired wire circus scene.

Science: Design your own dizzying, hair-raising rides. Learn about centripetal force and torque to engineer a one-of-a-kind spinning attraction. Then use your electrical know-how to make basic series and parallel circuits to illuminate your rotating ride.

To find out more about the Camp Galileo and each week's theme, click here.

Click here for the Ammonite Craft Project.

Disclaimer:  My children are receiving one free paid week of camp as compensation for this post series.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.