Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Monday, September 16, 2013

Gummy Fun

Not too long ago I picked up the book Gummy Fun at Kinokuniya in San Jose. I've always wanted to try making my own gummy candy and this book looked like it had some good and unique recipes to help me get started.   I also liked the cute pictures in the book (I'm a sucker for cute pictures).  Below are a few photos of the inside of Gummy Fun.

Demonstrates how to make depression molds.

Cute illustrations I was talking about.

Coffee and milk tea gummies.  Yes, please.

Here's a photo of one of the recipes I  tested out.  I made my gummy candy with canned peaches.

For the gummies, I used a silicone heart mold I found at Daiso for $1.50.  One batch ended up filling up the heart molds perfectly.  I should also point out the recipes make tiny batches.  The gummy hearts don't taste like the gummies you would find in the candy aisle.  They're less sweet and the texture is more like thick jello. 

Overall I like the book.  My only complaints are that it never states how long it takes to make the gummies.  The directions only say to "set up at room temperature". The gummy hearts I made took an hour to set up.  There's also no mention of how long the gummy treats will stay fresh or if they need to be refrigerated.  But knowing my family, that's not really a problem.  I'll be lucky if the gummy hearts last an hour in our house.

Have you ever made your own gummy treats?  Have any good recipes to share?

No comments:

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.