Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Monday, March 10, 2014

Sewing with My Daughter

Over the weekend my daughter and I made this retro doll.  This was the first time my daughter sewed something that didn't have pre-punched holes to guide her stitches.  It was a little challenging for her but I think she did a great job. From the project she learned how to sew a whip stitch. She sewed half of the face and the front of the dress.  I sewed the rest. 

At first she thought it was too hard but began to get the hang of it.  We split the project up into three days so it wasn't too daunting.  Towards the end of the project she wanted to sew on the shoes so I let her.  Moments later she broke down crying that it was too hard and it was so easy for me.  This was one of those moments where I had to choose my words wisely.  I explained that I've been sewing most of my life and she's just starting to learn.  I also pointed out how nice her stitches looked.  I would like to think that she felt encouraged.

Our projects don't always go as planned but they're time well spent.

This pattern came with issue 34 of Mollie Makes magazine.  The pattern was designed by Danielle Thompson who owns and runs the online store Kitschy Digitals. If you have a chance, check it out.  There's a lot of cute patterns over there. 

3 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I enjoyed reading your post and how you handled the moment of frustration. I have encountered that sewing with my daughter as well. It is difficult because I want it to be a positive experience. Such an adorable project,

Unknown said...

She did a Wonderful Job!! It is just adorable! And isn't Mollie Makes great? I am hooked !

Michelle L. said...

Your little doll project came out so great. Good job to both mom and kid for sticking with it and seeing it through to the end. It'll be easier every time!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.