Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cloche Hat Pattern

For some time I've been wanting to knit a cloche hat. The problem I ran into was all the patterns I liked were for crocheting. So, I decided to make my own pattern. Instead of adding a flower on the side (like most cloche hats), I sewed black crystals on the hat in the shape of a diamond. Pattern Below.

Supplies
Size 6 US knitting needles
One ball of Grey Wool-Ease worsted weight yarn
Gauge - 4 1/2 stitches per inch

Cast on 108 stitches
Row 1: knit across
Row 2: knit across
Row 3: knit across
Row 4: purl across
Row 5: *K2tog, 3 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, k2tog 3 times; rep from * to end
Row 6: knit
Rows7-10: repeat rows 3-6
Row 11: *k4, k2tog, rep from * to end, end with 90 stitches
Row 12: purl across
Row 13: knit across
Row 14: knit across
Row 15: knit across
Repeat rows 12-15 till piece measures 7”.
* end with a purl row

Shape Top:
Row 1: *K5, K2tog; rep from * to end, knit last stitch, end with 78 stitches
Row 2: knit across
Row 3: *K4, K2tog; rep from* to end, end with 65 stitches
Row 4: purl across
Row 5: *K3, K2tog; rep from* to end, end with 52 stitches
Row 6: knit across
Row 7: *K2, K2tog; rep from* to end, end with 39 stitches
Row 8: purl across
Row 9: *K1, K2tog; rep from* to end, end with 26 stitches
Row 10: knit across
Row 11: K2tog across, end with 13 stitches
Row 12: purl across
Row 13: K2tog across
Row 14: knit across
Row 15: K2tog across
Row 16: Bind off - leave a tail to sew seam of hat

Finishing – sew seam of hat, make sure stripes match up, *optional – sew crystal beads on side of hat in diamond shape


17 comments:

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

This hat is darling! You knit so well!
I'm having a demo party on my blog now, hope you can come and play!

Lotta said...

Thanks for the pattern - it really is so sweet and vintage-y and soft-looking and all that :).

Emily Cole said...

Great job on the hat - I might try one soon... right now I have a ton of projects "in the works" so it might be a little while. I like how you put the diamond pattern on there instead of the flower! Great blog! Em

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say I love your pattern for cloche hat. I recently made it for my cousin for her 13th birthday. Here's a link to where I posted a picture of it if you would like to see.

http://community.livejournal.com/20sknitters/1466250.html?view=11606922#t11606922

Sarah-Jane

zakkalife said...

sarah-jane,

thanks for sharing the picture of the hat you made, it's always nice to see what other people do with the patterns

I wasn't able to leave a message at live journal so I hope you see this message

zakkalife said...

You're right! I went back and looked at the pattern. It must be 99 stitches you end with. I'm going to fix the typo now. Thanks for letting me know. Sorry for the inconvenience.

rabbeltje said...

thanks again for the pattern :D i finally managed to sit down and make it. there's a picture on my blog, here it is: http://www.rabbeltje.nl/pivot/entry.php?id=108
the quality of the picture is quite poor but that's because it was taken with my phone. anyway, just thought you'd like to see another one of your patterns finished ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I tried to knit the hat with your pattern but the number of stitches of Row 5 does not add up. Row 5 is : *k2tog, 3 times, (yo, k1)6 times, k2tog 3 times; rep from * to end. That means a total of 18 stitches for *to*, so how can 118 stitches be divided by 18 stitches? Please can anyone help as I am in the middle of it now????

zakkalife said...

The pattern has been corrected and should be fine now.

lottyro said...

Row 5 is : *k2tog, 3 times, (yo, k1)6 times, k2tog 3 times; rep from * to end.

This sentence leaves me flumoxed.
I love the hat and would love to knit it, but this throws me a bit.
I ended up with far too few stitches. Please help!

Susan Says (Stupid Stuff) said...

I'm obviously not the OP, but I think I can help. Row 5 looked a little confusing to me at first, but it's quite simple really.
Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit another two stitches together.
Knit another two stitches together.
(You have decreased three stitches)
(yo = "yarn over" You basically bring the yarn to the front of your work, as if to purl, but then knit. This adds in an extra stitch)
So, yarn over, knit one.
Yarn over, knit one.
Yarn over, knit one.
Yarn over, knit one
Yarn over, knit one.
Yarn over, knit one.
Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 2 stitches together.
That's ONE pattern repeat, so after this part, you go back and
Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 2 stitches together.
Knit 2 stitches together.
Then the yo increases again, then the k2tog again.
Hope that helps.
And thanks very much for the pattern, I'm just starting it myself, I'll try to get a picture when it's done.

lottyro said...

Thank you very much for your help, Susan!
The hat has turned out lovely.

xx

Unknown said...

Ok, I'm a new knitter, but for the cloche hat, do you use circular needles and knit in the round. This is probably a dumb questions.
Tara

zakkalife said...

Tara,

It's not a stupid question at all. This pattern calls for two needles.

Anonymous said...

I love this hat! Is it possible to knit in the round with this hat?

zakkalife said...

You could knit this in the round but you will have to adjust the pattern for it.

Sabrina said...

I made a hat using this pattern and I forgot to tell you how it turned out. (even though it's been three years now! :)
Anyway, this is my all time favorite pattern and I get so many compliments on the hat I made!
Thanks!
I posted about it on my blog if you would like to take a look.
http://superfluouslysabro.blogspot.com/2012/01/knit-cloche-hat.html

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.