Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Book Review: 400 Knitting Stitches

Recently I received the new knitting book "400 Knitting Stitches" to review. This book is compiled of 400 different knitting stitches, as you can guess from the title. The chapters include, knitting basics, knit-purl stitches, crossed stitches and cables, slipped stitches, lacy stitches, double stitches, twisted stitches, cast-off stitches, fancy stitches, and symbols. All the stitches include easy to read directions to create the stitch pattern. This book is good for all knitters, intermediate or advanced.

I find these kind of books useful for changing and making patterns. For example if you're knitting a sweater but want add a more ornate sleeve edge, just choose a stitch pattern that you like and apply it to the sweater pattern. Or if you're a beginner knitter, choose a lacy stitch and make your own scarf pattern out of it. There's unlimited possibilities with a book like this.

Below are a couple of stitches you'll find in the book.

Zigzag Openwork 2

Lacy Diamonds

5 comments:

daniele said...

I was interested in this book, but these pics are exactly the same as the ones in my old Marie Claire book. Since it also has 400 patterns, this is probably a new translated edition.

zakkalife said...

Daniele,

I checked the book after reading your comment and you are right. It says it was originally published in France as 400 Points de Tricot by Editions Marie Claire in 2005.

If you're looking for another stitch pattern book, you might want to check out knitting on the edge by Nicky Epstein. It has different stitch patterns than "400 knitting stitches".

Ayie said...

I don't thin I'll ever get to knit =(

Unknown said...

I've been scouring the internet, trying to find out if this is a re-print of the book '400 Knitting Stitches: Great Stitch Patterns' published by murdoch Books in 2007. Does your book give any indication on the inside cover? I don't want to accidentally buy the same book again.

zakkalife said...

Hi Sara,

I think it is the same book. I don't know for sure because I gave the book to a friend just starting off knitting
.

If you're looking for new stitches to test out, I would recommend Knitting on The Edge by Nicky Epstein. It's one of my favorites.

Hope this helps

Jessica

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.