Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Monday, July 19, 2010

Iced Green Tea with Yuzu

One of my favorite things to drink is iced tea (green or black). So, I thought I would share one of the drinks I like to make in the summer, iced green tea with yuzu. For those not familiar with yuzu, it's a citrus fruit that originates from East Asia. It has been described as tasting like grapefruit with a subtle hint of mandarin. For me, it tastes more like lemon, lime and mandarin.

How To Make Iced Green Tea with Yuzu

Ingredients:
Green Tea - I prefer loose leaf but pre-made tea bags work just as well.
Water
Ice
1 tsp of Honey
1/4 tsp of Yuzu juice (may substitute lemon juice)

Here's what the yuzu juice looks like. The one I purchase comes in a bottle packaged in a box. Of course, if you can find the actual fruit that's always better.

Boil water. Take off stove and let sit 30 seconds. Pour about 6oz of water over a green tea bag in a 14 oz cup. Let steep for 5- 7 minutes till overly strong. Next add honey and mix. For aesthetic purposes I used a glass but you'll want to use some kind of mug when preparing the tea.

Now add enough ice to fill the cup, about 6 more ounces. Mix drink until most of the ice cubes melt and the tea is completely cold. This is why I recommended a mug. If you add ice to a hot glass there's a good chance the glass will crack.

Add yuzu juice. Enjoy!


8 comments:

down comforter said...

what a great thing for the summer

Trixie and Dustin of TheTeaDrinker.com said...

Yum, yum YUZU!! Oishisou! Thank you for posting your lovely yuzu-tea recipe and photographs.

Is it OK to say "kanpai" when raising a glass of tea??

Yuzu makes the world go 'round...

ILikePaperCutting said...

love the lemonade fabric background.

*~kAy~* said...

I love anything green tea! <3
Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Kristin said...

I've been drinking iced green tea all summer, I'll have to try and find this Yuzu, that would be fun to try.

Wendy said...

Yuzu. Huh.I'd never even heard of it. I'll have to try that. I do love me some tea in the summertime!

Ayie said...

very refreshing for the hot summer days!

Chisa said...

My japanese friend showed me her way of making ice tea: She just pours ice cold water over the actual tea leaves, puts the can in the refrigerator and pours herself a glass ice cold goodness whenever she feels like it.
I was surprised as I always prepared my sencha with hot water, but I tried it and drank my ice tea like that all summer.
I'll definitely try your recipe coming summer!
ありがとう!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.