Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Upcycle: Laundry Detergent Shakers

We have no sink in our laundry room which means I have to hand wash clothes in the bathroom. I'm always dragging the giant laundry detergent container into the bathroom. Anyone else do this? I know there are worse inconveniences but it just seems silly to do this all the time. So, I converted one of my empty spice jars into a laundry detergent shaker. Now when I need to hand wash something, it's right there waiting for me to use. I just sprinkle a little detergent in the water and start washing. Problem solved with a little craftiness.

1. Clean out spice jar. Remove label with soap and water.

2. Choose a coordinating paper that matches lid. Cut paper to fit jar. Glue on. Let dry

3. Add a self-adhesive white mailing label. Done.

Get shaking!

13 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

This is an excellent idea. It is very useful to put quantities into smaller vessels for ease of use (sometimes a large vessel is difficult to pour), so I really like this and it's official on my list!

Christy Amular said...

cute!!!what a pretty way to do laundry!

Connie said...

Very good idea!

Michelle L. said...

Poifect!

kot-itsa said...

i have a small jar from marmelade that i use!great idea!

Hoppin' Up said...

Good idea! Why didn't I think of it!

Caca said...

you are such a crafty, upcycle, thrifty and clever housewife.

Jo @ A life in lists said...

We have no laundry room (teeny weeny little victorian terraced house), but I still want to decant the big container into little cute ones! I'm sure I can find a purpose for decanting...

Kayleigh said...

I use a jar and a tablespoon. :)

Anonymous said...

dI use a small dot of shampoo or body wash. Shampoo is great for working on oily stains.

carla said...

Good idea. I have a shaker at the edge of my kitchen sink with baking soda in it. It's useful for all kinds of things, especially getting stains out of tea cups.

zakkalife said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for sharing the tip of using shampoo. I've never thought of trying it on clothing before.

Carla,

Thanks for the baking soda tip. I have a few tea-cups that could use some refreshing. Can't wait to try out your cleaning tip.

::little projects in style:: said...

thats adorable! and so cute! :) perfect 5-min craft!

thanks! :)

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.