Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Thursday, March 20, 2008

How To Make a Basket Pincushion


Looking over at my sad, tired pincushion, I new it was time for a change. My old one was the standard tomato and it had served me well. It had been with me through prick and pin. It stood by my side in my first sewing class. Farewell, tomato.

Seriously, this pincushion was inspired by all the Easter baskets I've seen lately. There is no sewing involved and it only takes about ten minutes to make. I made the pins as well. They're more for looks than anything else. I'm not sure if you would want to use them for sewing honestly. Directions for both projects below.

Pincushion Basket

Supplies
small basket
scraps of fabric, depends on the size of your basket
hot glue
stuffing

*If your basket has a more open weave, you will want to line the inside with the fabric you are using. This will prevent seeing the stuffing and having it come out of the sides. I had to do this for the bottom of my basket. Just glue the fabric to the inside of the basket.

1. Stuff the basket with filling.
2. Cut out a piece of fabric that is the shape of the opening of your basket with 1 inch seam allowance.
3. Place the fabric on top of the stuffing and tuck it in all around the sides so you can't see the raw edge of the fabric.
4. Pull back one little side of fabric and place the glue low enough where it can't be seen, push fabric back against it. Go around the whole basket doing this. Done!

* make sure the filling is packed in well and the fabric is as tight as possible.


Mushroom Pin Directions
Supplies
paper clay ( I get this at Daiso)
sewing pins
acrylic paint in white and red

1. Make a small mushroom shape out of the clay.
2. Insert the pin in the bottom of the mushroom, reshape the mushroom if necessary.
3. Let dry for a day.
4. Paint the top red, let dry. Paint white dots on the top. Done.



24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cute! I see tiny baskets and flowerpots all the time at the crafts store, but never would think to do something as adorable as this!

Suzanne said...

You are soooooo awesome. I was looking for something to do for my mom for mother's day, and this is it. She sews alot, and I am sure her pin cushion is as old as I am. Wish I could replace a few things that easily. LOL Thanks for sharing!!
Suzanne

mushroommeadows said...

awesome! I love the pins especially. But everything goes together so well. :)

zakkalife said...

thanks catchat!

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Oh ! Too Cute !!!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Thanks for this perfect idea! I have a boutique to prepare for in 2 weeks and this is easy enough to make and sell! Plus these baskets are so cheap at Michaels!

Happy Easter!

Momo Fali said...

I just realized why my uncrafty self loves coming here so much. Because these things remind me of my childhood. Of all the things my Mom and my Grandma used to do. Thank you for that.

Oiyi said...

Very cute, especially the pins!

Unknown said...

so so so CUTE, love it, tks for sharing :)

Indigo Blue said...

I like idea, simple but very effective. Do you buy any of the Japanese craft books?

zakkalife said...

hi indigo blue,

yes I do! love Japanese craft books

Anja said...

Mushrooms are so cute! Thank you for tutorial of basket Pincushion.

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoy your ideas in creating zakka that is simple, practical and of course adorable. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a clever thought. :)
It is presentable yet useful. It is so sweet.

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Liz said...

Very cute - sure beats the tomato.

SewDelish said...

Very cute. Will have to make one of these!

RecycleCindy said...

Your pin cushion is so cute! I love the little mushroom pins too.

SewDelish said...

I have made some, I just couldn't wait! Come and have a peek!
[url=http://sewdelish.blogspot.com/url]

It is under the march 2008 archives
Thanks again for the inspiration Zakka!

Sewdelish
xx

Iowa Sunshine said...

Thanks for this tutorial. Very cute basket. Your words also gave me an idea. I just made some cute little pins out of flower shaped beads and those pins with the round color heads. I'm going to take a little flower pot and do this! Thanks for helping spark my crafting. =) HUGS

Kitchen Sweet Kitchen said...

I like it:)

Kimmay said...

This is such a cute idea! I love all of your simple and beautiful ideas. I even included two of your projects on my blog, Hurray Kimmay. You can view the post here:

http://hurraykimmay.blogspot.com/2010/02/february-craft-project-lovin.html

I just found your blog and I really love it.

Enjoy!

xoxo

Kimmay

svenja said...

Thank you for your fantastic idea! :)

ILikePaperCutting said...

this is so kawaii

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, this is sooo cute, i am so going to make one for my aunt.

did you make those pins yourself? or did you buy them somewhere? the are so cute, i love mushrooms :)

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.