Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Monday, June 8, 2009

How to Make a Fabric Yo-Yo Bracelet

One of the nice things about making yo-yo's without a yo-yo maker is that you can make them in any size you want. Here I scaled down the fabric yo-yo to make a delicate bracelet. This is a simple project that you can make in one day. Simple directions below.

If you're not familiar with making fabric yo-yo's, take a look at this tutorial.

For the bracelet, I used yo-yo's that were just about the size of a quarter. To make a fabric yo-yo this size you will want to start off with a circle 2 1/8" in diameter. I used eight yo-yo's for my bracelet but it all depends on the circumference of your wrist.

Sew a button on the top of all the yo-yo's.

Sew the yo-yo's with a whip stitch with right sides facing together. Keep adding on a yo-yo till you get the desired length.

On the last yo-yo, sew a small piece of embroidery thread onto the back of the yo-yo. This will be your clasp. Make sure the loop will fit over the button well.

Here's what the front of it should look like.

The clasp on the right will hook over the pink button on the left to secure. Done.

17 comments:

Zip n Tizzy said...

You never fail!
You really should write a book!
You are SO creative!

Christy Amular said...

lovely! the pastel buttons are just so perfect with the white yoyos...

Violet LeBeaux said...

It really is beautiful and delicate. I think I would wear one of these if I replaced the buttons with rhinestones. I think I'll have to give it a go :D

Loralynn said...

Another darling project! I can see one made with black material and turquoise buttons in my future. My Daughter will prefer your color choices! You have given us so many wonderful projects, things I will be doing with my Daughter this summer! Thank you so much!

The Queen of Clearance said...

Are you reading my mind? O kist got a new bucket of buttons and my mom picked out these pumpkin colored ones and said "can you make me a bracelet with these?" and now here it is! This is so cute! Thanks! (p.s. giveaways are addictive, but I never win, so winning one was soo exciting!)

Novi On The Go said...

So simple and pretty!

Ayie said...

so pretty! any girl would want that bracelet!pascoh

amy is the party said...

Thanks for the comment! I saw your tut on Craft today - congrats! I just love those fabric yo-yos!

Rachael Hutchings said...

Squirrel would LOVE one of these! Time to get busy!

Brandy said...

this is a really cute idea, not sure how you come up with this stuff!so creative, love it!

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

This is really cute - I'm going to make a couple for my 9 year old grandaughter - she's going to love it!!!! Thank you for sharing.
~Neenee~

♥ maaria said...

What an absolutely most super cute idea!
I made a mini yo-yo with a button as a ring ;_) will show it later on in my blog.

...♥...
maaria

Michele T said...

This is a perfect summer project for my 11 year old daughter and I to work on when it is a rainy day. Thanks!

Roberta said...

hi! how interesting! These yo-yos are known in my country (Brazil) as fuxico! :-) hugs! Roberta =)

fabricyoyoqueen said...

Great project. :) I am always looking for new uses for the fabric yoyos in my collection.

Widge said...

very cool!! Thanks

Cassie said...

Have you thought about using craft wire and really tiny beads to make a bracelet? I have lots of kintting to do... I'll tell you when I can. Bye!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.