Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How to Make Felt Yo-Yo Flowers

You'll be surprised to see how easy these felt yo-yo flowers are to make. It took me maybe five minutes per felt flower, seriously. These little flowers are great to use for adorning handbags, hair clips or broaches. You could even make a pretty garland with them. Simple directions below.


To start you're going to make a basic yo- yo. The only thing you'll do different is not fold the fabric over when sewing around the circle. There's no need since the fabric will not fray. Also the center will end up to bulky if you fold the fabric over.

For these flowers I used a 5" diameter circle pattern. My stitches were about a centimeter. apart.

Felt Flower Yo-Yo #1

With a pair of fabric scissors, cut your yo-yo where you see the yellow lines. Sew a button in the center. Done.

Felt Flower Yo-Yo #2

With a pair of fabric scissors, cut your yo-yo where you see the yellow lines. Be careful not to cut where the stitching is. Sew a button in the center. Done.

By changing the width and depth of the cuts you can get a large variety of flower shapes. If you want to make garland just string them on ribbon, you don't have to do anything extra to them.

22 comments:

Jack Of All Trades said...

those are just as cute as they can be!

The Queen of Clearance said...

Those are cute. I just bought a bunch of felt, but Im not sure I can do this :) I'll have to give it my best shot though!

Loralynn said...

Seriously! Those couldn't be any easier! I love them! The perfect addition to...well...everything! Thanks!

Little Ol' Liz said...

SunOfAGun isn't that smart! I love yo-yo's but hate that fold over part to hide the fraying ends.

Ooooo, and-and fleece would work, too!

Anne said...

What a cool idea!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-felt-yo-yo-flowers/2009/06/10/
--Anne

Violet LeBeaux said...

Oh I am definitely going to try these! I have a bunch of felt lying around dying to be used!

nobu said...

It just looks like Rakugan(a Japanese sweet).
Lovely!

Amber M. said...

Those are so sweet! And I have a pile of felt screaming to me made into yo-yo flowers now.

Ayie said...

The flowers are so cute, very prcatical and easy to make =)

FlabbyMom said...

I am borderline-obsessed with yoyo making. This will be a fun project! Thanks for sharing your idea.

Anonymous said...

I love these! I've made yo-yo's before but never with felt. Can't wait to try it. I love how it looks after you cut the petals. Thanks so much for sharing this cute idea!

c|ara said...

I like the new twist to these yoyos!

Ayie said...

have a pleasant weekend to you and your family!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

The felt is SO sweet, I love this look! Thanks so much for the idea, I'll be linking.

Susie said...

What a wonderfull idea! Thank you so much for sharing!

auntie said...

i don't really like the look of regular yo-yo's, but these felt ones are adorable!!

Chasing Snails said...

I love the idea of a garland, will have to make one for my little monkeys room.

The buttons you have used really remind me of lollies... must go eat some lollies ; ).

Jules said...

Linked your awesomeness today! http://www.joyshope.com/2009/06/stuff-i-want-to-make.html

SewDelish said...

These are gorgeous. Have stumbled for you. Will have to have a go at making them soon

Adriana said...

great idea....!!!! it really helped me...
thanks,,,

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

Jessica I´ll feature this tute on my blog ok?
kisses
Rosana

Anonymous said...

Our yoyohoods group will be loving this!!

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.