Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Craft Project: Pixie Hollow in A Jar

Last week we spent our vacation at Disneyland. For my daughter, the highlight of the trip was meeting Tinkerbell in Pixie Hollow. She couldn't stop talking about her. She had grand plans of spending the night at Tinkerbell's house. Oh, to be a child again, such a gift of imagination, wonder and believing.

This craft project was inspired by Martha Stewart's vacation memory jars. But instead of filling a jar with vacation mementos, I decided to recreate a precious moment from our vacation. Here's how I did it.

First I gathered up some pictures for inspiration to recreate Pixie Hollow

Fairy Iridessa

Morgan talks with Tinkerbell


Supplies


I gathered up items I might find in Pixie Hollow: moss, ladybugs, flowers and grass.

Other supplies:
Hot glue
Elmers Glue
Photo printed on vellum paper
Green Paint
Styrofoam ball
Glass jar
Electric tea light
Gold glitter

Directions

1. Paint jar lid green. Cut styrofoam ball in half and paint green (make sure it fits in the opening of your jar). Let dry.
2. Print out a picture ( I printed it on vellum paper).

3. Hot glue some leaves inside the back of the jar.
4. Glue picture to green styrofoam ball. Glue to bottom of jar.
5. Drop in moss along the sides of the styrofoam. Next, cover all of the styrofoam with moss. I poked the moss into the styrofoam with a chopstick.
5. Glue embellishments on the moss such as flowers, ladybugs, mushrooms, etc.

Hot glue a tea light underneath lid. This tea light turns on and off by twisting it (purchased at the dollar store).

Sprinkle a little gold glitter in the inside for fairy dust. Attach lid on jar. Done.

28 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

That's really sweet! What a special keepsake to make for your daughter.

Dawn in OKC said...

Adorable...thanks for sharing such a fantastic idea.

Loralynn said...

How darling! A fantastic way to remember your trip!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

what a perfectly lovely idea! and I really like the battery operated tea light effect too. How magical this must look in her room with the lights off!

Christine at Origami Mommy said...

Oh, that is so sweet! The sweetest part is the expression on your daughter's face. How old is she? She reminds me a lot of my own little girl!

Natalie said...

That is the best memory jar ever. So special.

Natalie said...

That is the best memory jar ever. So special.

babalisme said...

The pixie hollow is a new attraction, isn't it? I can't wait to see it myself! Your daughter is so lucky to have a crafty mom, she'll be treasuring the jar forever!

*~kAy~* said...

aw... your daughter is so adorable! :P such huge imaginations! <3

Natalie said...

How cute! I can't wait for my son to be old enough to enjoy a trip to disney!

Anonymous said...

what a nice idea for the small mice Simply fantastically;)

lg Marion

Hippy Goodwife said...

That is really adorable. I have a four year old boy who wants to meet Tink when we visit in Sept. I may have to make on of these for him.

Danna said...

This is adorable! I know my daughter would love to meet Tink. Of course, so would I. :)

I can imagine if this was mine when I was a little girl. I'd probably sit for hours staring at it.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Danna

Steph said...

Sooo cute - what a great idea. TFS x

Tracey said...

This is such a neat idea! My daughter loves Tink, and Peter Pan. Will have to show her this!

Anne said...

WOW . . . what an amazing keepsake! Thanks for showing us how you did it.

Novi On The Go said...

What a wonderful way to keep sweet memories alive! Thanks for sharing Jessica.

Amber M. said...

What a cute project...and a great shot of your family!

Ayie said...

very well done! your daughter definitely loves this memento...she can always be there beside tinkerbell.

You have a very happy family!

Anne said...

How ADORABLE!!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

AWW! That is the sweetest, most clever vacation keepsake ever. I just love this! Thanks so much, I'll be linking to this. Swoon...

Unknown said...

that is adorable, jessica! i can't wait to see more pictures from disneyland. glad it was the perfect vacation for your family. =o)

Ashlee said...

Precious! And your little girl could not be cuter.

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

We're going to Dland next week! This is such a fun idea. I'm going to have to take some great pictures of my daughter with Tinker Bell!!

Breeda said...

This is such a CUTE idea! I make Pixie Portraits
(check it out)
http://breespixies.blogspot.com/
and I could do this with some of my photos....thank you for sharing this cute idea!

Unknown said...

a definite christmas gift for my girls this year - adorable!!!

Lisa said...

I LOVE this idea, especially with the light!! Can't wait to do it with my kids.
Thanks!
Lisa

Shanda said...

This is an adorable craft! A wonderful memento and keepsake. I own a Tinker Bell fan site, and I would like to post this craft up on it (linking back to your blog, of course). I hope this is all right! You can Google Ms. Neverland's Pixie Hollow and check it out, if you like :) Thanks for sharing this cute idea. ~Shanda aka Ms. Neverland

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.