Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Our Adventures in Free Comic Book Day

 
This year was the first time our family attended Free Comic Book Day.  It has been going on for eleven years now and is always held on the first Saturday of May.  Comic stores, participating retail stores and even some libraries give out free comics on this day.  I'm sharing this so you don't miss out next year.  Mark your calendars now, seriously.

I heard about Free Comic Day online and decided it was worth checking out.  Other than that, I really didn't know what to expect.  When we got there, we were told we could each pick out three comics.  We stood in line for maybe five to ten minutes before we got to the tables.  They had the comics all grouped by ratings, G, PG, etcetera.  As a parent, I really appreciated this. The kids picked out which comics they wanted, easy.  After we got our comics, we also got to pick out some pins and stickers  and we were done. 

Below are photos of the comics that my children picked out.  If you haven't been in a comic store for a while, I think you might be surprised with the selections. 

This is a two story comic with The Smurfs on one side and Tinker Bell on the opposite.

Here are two of the comics my son picked out, Sonic The Hedgehog and Voltron.  Anyone one remember the TV cartoon Voltron?

These two comics came with multiple comic stories in them.  Owly and Friends also featured "Johhny Boo Does Something" and "Sprout Pigs Out".  Mouse Guard is a hard cover book featuring four different comics.  Remember the movie Labyrinth with David Bowie?  There's a comic about Hoggle and the worm from Labyrinth in Mouse Guard.
 
Did any of you attend Free Comic Book Day?  What did you get?


3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I had no idea about this! My nine year old is really interested in Richie Rich comics these days. We have been delving into the internet stores and buying them but free is always fun.

tamdoll said...

I forgot it was Free Comic Book Day when I was at the mall that day and noticed a line outside the store. Last year I picked up some interesting ones that I enjoyed reading - this year, not too many - the shop I was in didn't have too many cute kids ones like yours did! The first time I brought my girls to a comic book store I thought they'd be interested in the same sorts that I am (superheros)- but instead they picked up Archie's and have been hooked ever since!

Deanna said...

My kids love comics. I'll have to check out local places next year! We have a comic book store not far from us. Booksamillion have a ton too. :)

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.