Home About Press Crafts Recipes

Monday, April 15, 2013

2013 Cherry Blossom Festival

Ever have one of those days (or months) where you just need a change of scenery?  That's how I was feeling last weekend so we ventured out to San Fransisco for the Annual Cherry Blossom Festival in Japantown.   I didn't take a lot of photos due to the crowds.  Plus I wanted to actually enjoy the event, not just document it.  However, I did make an effort to take photos of things I've never shared before in past Cherry Blossom posts

This year there was a Japanese sword exhibit.  At the exhibit this sword diagram caught my eye.

Also in the exhibit were quite a few Tsubas (the guard part of the sword).  I had never seen one separated from a sword before.  I was impressed with how unique and detailed the tsubas were on their own.  They looked like mini pieces of art.

While shopping in Japantown, we saw the new arcade Playland Japan for the first time.  All the games in the arcade were new to me (not that I keep up on arcade games).  Pictured above is a Pikachu game.  I wasn't able to get a picture but the front of this machine looks just like a giant Pikachu.

I call this one the kawaii claw.  Have you ever seen a claw machine so neatly set up?  If any of the toys got knocked over after someone played the game, an attendant came and straightened them up.

In the back of the arcade I spotted this taiko drum game.  We didn't get to try it out but it looked like a lot of fun.

Last, I give you the The Bishi Bashi.  I looked this up and apparently you compete with others in a bunch of mini games.  I'm not sure what the mini games consist of. 

The festival offers so much more than what I shared here.  There's plenty of  good food, shows, crafts, and even a parade.  To find out more, visit the official Cherry Blossom festival page here.  The event runs for one more weekend (April 20 -21) so there's still time to check it out.

3 comments:

Alvina said...

Oooo the Tsubas looked super cool!

Michelle L. said...

Hee! Great stuff! I wonder if Bishi Bashi equals Whack-A-Mole? Even if it doesn't, that's how it sounds to me.

zakkalife said...

Michelle L,

I remember Whack-A-Mole. That brings back memories of grade school birthday parties at Chuck E Cheese.

Zakka Life has moved to a new site!

Click here to visit the new site.